8 Important Reasons To Start a Side HustleNovember 1, 2017
Start a side hustle today and you will never have to worry about tomorrow. I talk a lot about extra income here in SavingsPinay. I am a hustler myself, and I’ve done different things to make some money while I was still a college student and even now that I already have a full-time job.
Hustling part-time changed my life for the better. It helped me accomplish the following:
- Boost my savings
- Increase my investments
- Have enough capital for a possible business venture or passion project
- Pay-off debt (credit card)
- Extra money for shopping, paying bills or vacation
Many have asked me how to start a side hustle. People are curious what hobby or project they can pursue to actually earn something. At this very time when one source of income isn’t always enough, there are plenty of reasons to start a side hustle today.
And this post will reveal exactly these important reasons.
If you don’t know where to start a side hustle then below is a quick guide for you:
1. Find your Skill and Offer it
Everyone of us has his/her own unique skill that God had blessed us to have and to share. Find it and offer it. Mine is hosting so I did earn an extra means of living through it. Maybe you know how to play the guitar or the piano. Or maybe you have basic photography skills. Whatever it is know it, develop it and start offering it to your friends and soon potential clients.
2. Be Paid for Your Services
Don’t settle for a free service unless you are just starting in the business. You may offer for free but make sure its for portfolio use only. Once you’ve built your portfolio have your services paid. The main reason is that you need money to fund your talent. You will never earn extra if you don’t stop offering for FREE.
3. Market what you know
There are things we have more knowledge about than the others. For example, I know how to apply makeup so I decided to do makeup videos. Little by little I earn few dollars with the views plus I get to share my tips and tricks for fellow Filipinas too. Marketing your knowledge means having a broader way in letting others know that you can do this and you can do that. Create an album in your Facebook page about your skill and make a status that you can offer free tutorial or lesson. Once potential clients line up you can now create advertisement in Sulit for others to be paid.
4. Sell something
As simple as it is, selling is a one solid way that you will start earning. Create an Instagram account and sell unusual stuff. You can also have a garage sale. Now that it’s Christmas for sure gift items will be a must so you as early as now, start selling online or at your neighborhood.
5. Sell your creativity
If you don’t have any product to sell then why not sell your creativity? Maybe you have some potential in doing sketches of persons, you can earn cash through it.
Earning extra income has been very simple nowadays thanks to social media. It is easier to post and to tag people letting your network grow with less work. The thing is you need to take that big step. Let it go and be amazed of what will happen next.
Here are 8 Important Reasons To Start a Side Hustle
1. Additional source of income
Who will say no to extra income? No one!
A side hustle can give you more than one source of income to depend. The idea of more money in your pocket is the best thing ever and I am forever thankful that God blessed me with amazing talents to earn extra.
Unlike a day job which is full of uncertainty, a side hustle offers added security. If something bad happens, there is another income stream to provide for you and your family.
There may be a limit on how much we can save but there is never a limit on how much we can earn. If you want to SAVE MORE, then you have to EARN MORE. But make sure you actually save (and invest) those extra income you get because if you don’t then there’s no point to start a side hustle anyway.
Still not convinced? Here’s How To Make Money Blogging for Beginners to inspire you more!
2. An Outlet To Pursue Your Real Passion
We were raised by our parents thinking a good job will solve everything. We were told to study hard so we can graduate and have a good paying job. There are no questions asked whether we really like the course we took or not.
Years passed and most of us find ourselves stuck in a career we don’t actually want. There’s no purpose in what we do and it all became like a rat race.
Do you feel the same at this very moment?
If your answer is yes or somehow then a side hustle could be the answer.
I have a college classmate who takes good photos and now he has his own side income as an event photographer. Another colleague of mine started calligraphy as a hobby and she is now selling her own merchandise from a calligraphy sets to framed lettering.
And both still have their own day job.
The hunger to be creative, to serve and to create is so satisfying to experience. And only when you start a side hustle will you know the big difference it could make.
Read my 2017 Guide on How To Start a Blog if you are interested in blogging!
3. Have better use of your time
A side hustle can be a good way to make use of your extra time.
It only takes an 2-3 hours a day to write, edit and publish a blog post. An hour a day to market your online shop on Instagram and Facebook. Even a day to create a batch of DIY perfume for sale.
What matters most is your commitment to start a side hustle.
Can you spare an hour a day for your side hustle? That’s 7 hours a week of working for your passion income. And what if your side hustle could give you an extra income of (let’s say) P 500 every week or P 2000 a month or P 24000 a year!
Isn’t that a big difference to your finances?
But maybe you really don’t have time to hustle because you are busy. Well, here’s my two-step solution.
1. Work within the gaps. Maybe you can use 15-20 mins of your lunch time to hustle? How about that long period of commute time?
Squeeze some basic tasks such as commenting to other blogs, replying to inquiries, marketing on Facebook or Instagram. You don’t need a full 1 hour a day to called a hustler. Even a small increments of time, as long as it is productive, matter a lot.
2. Stop the time wasters. This part speaks also to myself, by the way but yes, eliminating your time wasters can open up a whole new span to work for your side hustle. Teach yourself to set boundaries when you are visiting Facebook, Instagram and/or YouTube.
You can always go back to scroll down your friend’s timeline or watch that specific video you really want AFTER you’ve done something productive. Keep your focus on the gold.
Time is our biggest ally isn’t it? If you can manage your time to hustle on the side then you are doing something great that your(future)self will thank you for!
4. Improve your skills
One of best reason to start a side hustle is to improve your skills. Unlike a 9-to-5 job where everything is predictable, a side hustle provides surprise factor! This surprise factor can be any of the following:
- A new idea
- A better solution
- A difficult client
- A sales or ad proposal
- A failed attempt
Thus, a side hustle gives you a whole different experience than a normal day job which in turn makes you better and smarter in general.
It is important to continuously learn as a person specially if your are hustling! Invest in online courses, attend workshops or seminars to improve your skills than wasting your weekend watching TV.
Being a blogger for the past four years and counting helped me become a better writer myself. Writing every single day gave me so much confidence in my skills. It became less and less hard for me to compose a well-written blog post.
Hosting for various weddings and events since 2011 made me a better emcee. I learned how to handle the crowd whether small or big. I developed both social and networking skills to sell my talent to people. I became well-rounded in emceeing different type of special occasion.
5. Reach your financial goals faster
There is a big chance that your side hustle today can be a your main job tomorrow! I, for example, would like to one day blog full-time and work for myself instead. Here’s a list of my financial goals you can read.
Without a side hustle it could be difficult for an ordinary employee to reach financial freedom. Your salary is low, while tax and deductions makes it lower.
That’s why learning how earn extra income can help reach your financial goals faster.
- Do you want to stop living from paycheck to paycheck?
- Do you to earn your first million?
- Do you want to save up for your kids’ education?
- Do you want to build an emergency fund?
- Do you want to retire young?
These goals may take up years to accomplish but a side hustle works like a short cut. It gives you that extra boost of resources to fulfill more of your wants faster.
6. Extra Fund for Short-Term Expenses
Now here’s the deal:
We all have that “wants” in life that could cost us a lot if we don’t save for it. It could be a new phone, a dream vacation, a new bag or as for me a new makeup.
These short-term expenses exists a lot and if you are someone who’s living from paycheck to paycheck, you will never have enough money to afford anything.
Your salary can pay but if you’ve always wanted to spend money without feeling guilty then start a side hustle.
Every money you earn hustling part-time could be your very own recreation fund. You are free to use that money to upgrade your lifestyle.
I have used my extra income to buy my first MAC lipstick last year (which followed another one last February). Those were the priciest items in my makeup collection and they are both worth it because I really worked hard to avail them.
Also when my parents celebrated their anniversary last March I booked them an overnight stay at The Bayleaf Intramuros Hotel as a gift. I also used my extra money from freelance writing gigs to push through with a celebration for my Papa’s 60th birthday.
Without hustling I would have never afford any of those ever. And even if I could I will probably regret afterwards.
7. Get rid of debt
Through the years of blogging, I came across messages asking help and guidance on how they can get rid of debt and reclaim their finances!
I remember getting an email from a SavingsPinay reader who shared her struggle with debt. Her net income every month is only P 12,000 but her expenses goes up to P 36,000 a month for bills, food and transportation allowance, school expenses and last but definitely not the least – DEBT.
To survive she is forced to take loans from friends and family members. She will also apply for loan on around four credit cards she owns, using one to pay the other like a cycle.
There are three easy solutions for this debt problem, 1) Decrease expenses, 2) Increase income and 3) Do both.
Decreasing your expenses is hard to do because it takes 99% discipline! Fortunately, increasing your income is something doable and if you do it right, you can definitely get rid of debt without sacrificing any of your expenses.
Here’s how to get rid of debt and reclaim your finances for you to read next!
8. Start investing/growing your money
In my Stocks for Pinoys Email Course I talked about the biggest investing myths people have and debunked each with the truth.
The most common reason why people have reservations when it comes to investing is not having enough money to invest.
Did you know that you can invest in the stock market for as low as 5000php?!
You don’t need to be a millionaire to buy and own shares of the biggest company in the country. Every additional investment you make will solely depend on you!
Each one of us, regardless of how much we make each month, can retire a millionaire! It all depends with how much you save and invest with what you earn.
If you can save and invest 2000pesos a month on an investment vehicle that can give you 6% per month compound interest your money will grow like this:
- After 3 months – 6,060.20pesos
- After 6 months – 13,211pesos
- After a year – 24,794.50pesos
You’ve gained 794.50pesos return of investment instead of just having 24,000 parked on a local bank.
And where can you find that extra P 2000 a month?
Start a side hustle.
Before the month of October ended I was able to invest in online farming. I was inspired by Geli’s narration on how online farming works and used some of my extra income, P 7500 to be exact, to purchase one plot of rice in a Pangasinan farm.
If I only have my salary I would probably not pursue that investment but because I have extra fund to use it was easier for me to diversify and grow my money.
Is it really possible start a side hustle and earn extra income?
You Need to Really Want It
Your desire to pursue your passion and hustle is important to help you go from zero to hero in less time. You can only do something you really want, right? Spend a day to really sort things out in what side hustle you can do and set your heart, mind and soul to the idea of hustling!
You Have To Continuously Work For It
Making extra income is the end-goal and it consists of short-term and long-term goals in between. This means as you start a side hustle you need to be ready to work hard for it to reach your overall freedom and end your money issues.
You Have to Build Your Own System to Success
It is important to remember that only you can define whether starting a side hustle is really a realistic goal you can achieve. You need to establish the system that will get you there. From what product or service will enable you to do so to what next actions to do.
The Different Side Hustles I Did To Earn Extra Money
Like what I told in the beginning I am a hustler myself. I have been, since the beginning of time, know that being busy makes me happy.
- Become an Event Emcee for all Occasion. On October 2011, I created an online advertisement about my talent in hosting. I have never hosted professionally but people around me knew that it’s something I can and I love to do. I used to emcee school programs and family gatherings plus I took up a Communication course. In 2011 alone I manage to emceed about 50 special occasions. To date I am still hosting and its one of the side jobs that gave me soooo much extra money. You can visit Izza Glino Weddings and Events on Facebook for more information.
- Wedding Planner/Wedding Coordinator. I also widen my horizon in event management and tried to sell my service as a wedding planner/coordinator. It was a nice experience sharing my ideas to the couple and helping them sort out ideas for their big day. I created my own wedding coordinator team and have been to Tagaytay, Antipolo, Batangas etc.
- Makeup and Hairstylist for Special Occasion. My love for makeup made me earn instant extra income. I have widen my event management experience by applying my knowledge in makeup and hairstyling. Making debutant, bride, entourage and guests beautiful makes me happy.
- Invest. One of the biggest financial decision I’ve made so far is opening my FAMI-SALEF account. It is a mutual fund investment where you and other investors money are pooled together to fund a common financial goal. There are no guarantees when it comes to investing but the younger you invest the better. Time will be your greatest ally to make your money grow. Currently, I have a mutual fund and stocks.
- Start a Blog. If you love writing and sharing on the internet then why not start a blog? You can earn through advertisements, affiliate marketing, sponsored posts and the traffic you get through your blog. There are many who’ve found massive monetary success online and this is such a great avenue to relieve stress etc.
- Create a YouTube Channel. If you”re comfortable talking to the camera like me then why not start your own YouTube Channel? I have a beauty and lifestyle YouTube Channel that helped me earn some money through ads and views. All you need is a good camera, laptop, internet connection and you’re ready to go. Visit my YouTube Channel.
- Create an Instagram Shop. I also tried selling stuff online through Instagram. Creating your store is free, marketing is fast and the return of investment is good. There are a lot of things you can sell online from clothing items, accessories, phone cases, baked goods etc. Follow me on Instagram!
- Freelance Writing Online. With my degree in Journalism I decided to try doing some freelance content writing work online. It turned out great with clients from abroad asking for web pages and other writing materials for a high pay. Here’s how to be a freelance content writer in the Philippines.
- Try Affiliate Marketing. Affiliate marketing works very simple. If you have a blog you can insert an affiliate link for programs/products/services you want to recommend to your readers. You will then earn a commission for every successful purchase made through your link. I make money by joining affiliate programs in the Philippines.
Below are the companies and programs I am affiliated with:
You can buy domain or hosting plans through Pangalan with my link. I consider getting my own domain as the biggest turning point of my life as a blogger. With your own domain you will be easily remembered, get noticed and build authority.
(read more on my How to Start a Blog post)
I became an affiliate with TravelBook since August last year when they held a blogging contest which I fortunately won. If you want to book hotel or accommodation on your next trip then try to check TravelBook. They have tons of partnered hotels all over the Philippines and some even give huge discounts.
(read more on my How to Earn as a TravelBook Affiliate post)
I recommend makeup or skincare products I use and include an affiliate link on my other blog, IzzaGlino. Here on SavingsPinay, I share financial books I read and other resource materials with their unique affiliate link. Make sure to check out some items on sale on Lazada.
(read more on my How to Make Money with Lazada post)
Final Notes From SavingsPinay
You will only know how rewarding a side hustle is if you start one. Hope the above reasons are enough to convince you.
Maybe you have a burning desire to do something like taking photos, doing calligraphy or designing event invitations then turn that passions to a hustle that pays.
1. Start a side hustle to have additional source of income
2. Start a side hustle to an outlet to pursue your real passion
3. Start a side hustle to have better use of your time
4. Start a side hustle to improve your skills
5. Start a side hustle to reach your financial goals faster
6. Start a side hustle to have extra fund for short-term expenses
7. Start a side hustle to get rid of debt
8. Start a side hustle to invest or grow your money
We all have gifts and expertise as human beings. I have an ex-workmate who finished IT in college and fix computer as a side hustle on weekends. His knowledge in computers allowed him to earn additional money.
Have you ever thought of your own gift? Of your own expertise?
Use your gift/expertise to start a side hustle.
Ready to start a side hustle?
Follow the SavingsPinay FB Group and join the conversation at : SavingsPinay
Follow my official Facebook page at : IzzaGlinoFull
Follow me too in my Twitter account: Izza Glino
Email me any question or topic suggestion at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or leave a comment below!!!
Izza of SavingsPinay promotes financial literacy for the young and young at heart by providing insights and tips on budgeting, saving, investing and online entrepreneurship. Aside from this blog she also writes at www.izzaglino.com, a beauty and lifestyle blog for frugal Pinays and manages, www.izzagevents.com, a wedding and event business since 2011. For inquiries, topic suggestions or future collaborations email her at email@example.com